My photo
Rome, Italy
My profile? Could do with a nose job!!!

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Read All About it: English Girl Saves Her Dog

I woke up this morning to a series of phone calls and messages from friends to tell me that Edie’s daring rescue of Lola was in all the papers (La Repubblica, Il Tempo, Il Messaggero...). I immediately raced out to buy the various newspapers and, sitting at a pavement table in the Campo enjoying my cappuccino and cornetto, read all about our au pair girl's heroics. Apart from spelling her name ‘Eddy’, the articles were really complimentary.
How modest can you get? Edie hadn’t told us the half of it. Speedboats, divers, a high speed ride home in a Fire Brigade's rubber dinghy, crowds of onlookers… Her escapade was far more touch and go than she had let on, almost as though she were embarrassed by all the fuss. Don’t be so modest, Edie; you saved my dog! And for that I shall be forever grateful.
I read some of the articles to Lola, who didn’t even raise her head.
“Want to go for a walk, Lola?” Edie called out from the entrance hall. “Come on!”
That got Lola’s attention; her head shot up and off she went.
“Stay away from water, Edie!” I called out moments before I heard the front door shut.