My photo
Rome, Italy
My profile? Could do with a nose job!!!

Monday, April 7, 2008

Lucky Encounter

I had just got out of the car with Lola...
(That's me, his dog. If you're interested, there's a shot of me on the right somewhere)
... when I heard the sound of approaching high heels. I turned to look.
(Oh, well…)
She came walking towards me, her glorious, wavy, dark brown hair swinging from side to side. I stopped breathing. Her intensely passionate black eyes emanated a luminous radiation, an inner strength, the air around her so clear, so incredibly intoxicating. Then she smiled and lit up the street.  Thinking this was perhaps a case of mistaken identity, I turned to see if someone were standing behind me. No! I turned back.  She was smiling at ME.
(Doubtless amused by the idiotic look on his face)
I almost burst into song, but managed to stop myself in time.
(Didn’t want to frighten her off)
I wanted her. I wanted to do all the things people in love do. I wanted to propose marriage, make her happy, raise a small army of children…
Raise a small army of CHILDREN?! Now wait a minute! What was I thinking? Separation! Divorce! Visiting rights! I made a serious attempt to resist this flood of emotions. It was a lost cause. Throwing caution to the wind and wanting to dedicate the rest of my life to her, I took a step forward and tripped on the edge of the curb to land spread-eagled at her shapely high-heeled feet.
She dropped to her knees. “Si é fatto male?” she asked.  'Had I hurt myself?'  Never had the Italian language sounded so harmonious, so poetic, and so intensely rich with promise.  I looked up at her, at this angel of mercy, at every detail of her lovely face, and noticed that she had a broken nose. But rather than detract from her beauty, it enhanced it even more.
I felt the pavement vibrate, my heart swell, and imagined the world standing still, thousands, no, tens of thousands of volts of electricity coursing through my veins, myriad hosts of celestial choirs singing our praises, millions and millions of people the world over stopping whatever they were doing to look towards the heavens and wonder what extraordinary event, what miracle, had occurred.
(Yeah, well, don’t forget he’s half-Italian; he can get carried away…)
“Si è fatto male?” she asked again.
“Wkjkjfuygkqlkplblxmjgkhlka,” I responded.
Her smile never wavered.
(God bless her)
Thinking perhaps that I had hit my head when I fell, she patted my hand as one would a wayward child and made a move to stand, but I hung onto her, tried to at least. I didn’t want her to go. Let’s not forget, this was the woman I meant to spend the rest of my life with.
(!?!?!)
Unaware of my plans for her future, she continued to smile kindly while she wrestled her hand free and stood up.  Overwhelmed, I struggled to my knees and watched her walk…
(Escape)
… to the end of the street. And then she was gone. I wasted precious seconds frozen to the spot. A lifetime later, when I had finally recovered and raced to the corner, alas, Stella had vanished into thin air.

♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡

No comments: